Springwood Lawyers

Brisbane Family Law | Divorce Lawyers | Wills & Estates | Property Settlements | Parenting Disputes | Elder Law

(07) 3208 0850

I am not the father but I still want to be involved in the child's life

From time to time disputes arise over the paternity of a child of a relationship. 

Disputed paternity can be resolved by simply undertaking a DNA based paternity test.

Just because you are not the father of the child doesn’t mean that you are denied from having a relationship with the child following seperation.  In certain circumstances the person seeking to spend time with the child may be unsure if he is the biological father or he may have raised that child as his own and for all intents and purposes he is a "father" to the child.

Whether the father is the biological father or is otherwise a significant person in the child’s life, can have an impact upon the time that the child will spend with the father or such significant person.   The Court will usually grant more time to a biological father than to a significant person. 

If you have concerns regarding paternity or if the mother of the child is claiming that you cannot spend time with the child because you are not the biological  father, then we can assist you to maintain your relationship with the child or otherwise clarify issues with respect to the paternity.

How much time with the children is practical?

We often have parents say to us “I want 50/50 custody of the kids”, that is that they want the children to live with them for the same amount of time that the children live with the other parent.

When quizzed on their employment circumstances, the next statement from the parent can sometimes be “I work Monday to Friday from 6:00am to 6:00pm”.  In such circumstances, if that parent does not have a support network or cannot otherwise make arrangements for the child’s care during their working hours or cannot modify their working hours, then an equal time, shared care arrangement may not be practical or achievable. It may be however that arrangements can be put in place which will allow such a parent to spend more time with the child.

When considering what arrangements are appropriate for a child, the Court’s will consider issues such as domestic violence and child abuse if applicable, as well as what is reasonably practicable and in the child’s best interests. 

Springwood Lawyers will provide sound advice on how you should proceed.

Contact Springwood Lawyers